Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Elections, Leaders, and the Hearts of Men

I must admit that I am sickened by the attitudes of many people today. I've read articles from people both disappointed and elated by the election of Barack Obama and most of them have extremely wrong attitudes. There is bitterness and anger directed at those who voted for "the other guy", whoever you would consider him to be. Ladies and gentlemen, this should not be the attitude that we have after the events of this election.

Regardless of my own personal political views, I am grateful to live in this nation. No other nation in the world has the same rights and freedoms that we enjoy. One comment in particular has been going through my mind repeatedly. During the election coverage from the American Family Association they had a live blog where people could post their thoughts throughout the evening. After it became apparent that Obama was winning, one person wrote, "If Obama wins I'm leaving this country. Maybe move to England or something." This is an attitude that absolutely drives me nuts! We are living in a nation where people have the right to choose their leaders and to make their opinions known through our votes. If you don't like what's going on, don't leave, but do what you can to change what you are able to.

I've been planning on using Romans 13 as my text for this Sunday's message for awhile now. The message itself wasn't going to change regardless of Obama or McCain's election. It doesn't matter. The message of this passage is the same regardless.

We are to submit to the authorities that God has placed over us.
Rom. 13:1, 2 (NIV) "Everyone must submit himself to the govening authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels agains the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves." (Italics my own.)
Regardless of who you voted for, Barack Obama has been placed into the position of authority over those of us who live in these great United States of America. I will not rebel against the authority that God has placed me under. As long as this nation continues to uphold the freedoms that we celebrate, we will continue to be a great nation. As long as there are Christians down on their knees praying for our leaders, there is hope. As long as we have the right to worship God freely, I will submit to that authority. Why? Because God said so!

Romans 13 continues on in verses 6 and 7 about how we need to give to the authorities what they are due: taxes, revenue, respect, and honor are the examples used. Regardless of my opinion on Obama, I will give him the respect that is due a person in his position. I will not withold my taxes. We need to continue to respect the leaders of this nation. We don't have to agree with everything that they do and stand for, but let's at least show them the respect of their offices.

Please post your comments. I would love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Never Despise Meager Beginnings said...

Nicely said! :) Amen!!

C.Lee said...

I agree!!